The ORIGINAL Drink your Food challenge

The Drink your food challenge
Sophie
Site Admin

Re: The ORIGINAL Drink your Food challenge

Post by Sophie »

Jpercy8 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:37 am Ah, that seems to be correct. I feel happier and more comfortable when I bring an attitude of “I get to” instead of “I need to/ should/ have to” to the chewing. Eating is actually a pleasant experience some of the time with this different attitude. Now I can see that bringing the “have to” attitude to other things probably contributed to feelings of misery, that I caused. Thank you Sophie.
great, now what do you need to invent to do to remind you of the privilege, the get to do it, instead of the misery?
Jpercy8

Post by Jpercy8 »

So far what I have come up with is to check in with myself whenever I am feeling any unpleasant or uncomfortable feelings . First, I notice what I am feeling. Then I see if I can identify what the words are behind the feeling (the have to/ need to/ should or an attitude). Next, I choose to bring a different attitude. Afterward, I notice how I feel.

When I can successfully bring a different attitude, like “I get to”, then I feel more at peace and at ease. I can see it is my choice what attitude I bring to anything. Bringing attitudes that result in me feeling miserable but expecting to feel good seems to be rooted in entitlement.
Sophie
Site Admin

Post by Sophie »

Jpercy8 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:28 pm So far what I have come up with is to check in with myself whenever I am feeling any unpleasant or uncomfortable feelings . First, I notice what I am feeling. Then I see if I can identify what the words are behind the feeling (the have to/ need to/ should or an attitude). Next, I choose to bring a different attitude. Afterward, I notice how I feel.

When I can successfully bring a different attitude, like “I get to”, then I feel more at peace and at ease. I can see it is my choice what attitude I bring to anything. Bringing attitudes that result in me feeling miserable but expecting to feel good seems to be rooted in entitlement.
it is all rooted in entitlement. I would like you to do this not only sporadically but often... please
Jpercy8

Post by Jpercy8 »

Ok, I commit to this practice of noticing and bringing different attitudes. I started to experience feeling resistance to doing this (not wanting to change), so I am bringing curiosity instead.

And now I feel that many possibilities have opened up. Being in resistance was like being stuck in the mud and not wanting to get out, so I could have a reason to not do anything. :lol:
Sophie
Site Admin

Post by Sophie »

Jpercy8 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:23 am Ok, I commit to this practice of noticing and bringing different attitudes. I started to experience feeling resistance to doing this (not wanting to change), so I am bringing curiosity instead.

And now I feel that many possibilities have opened up. Being in resistance was like being stuck in the mud and not wanting to get out, so I could have a reason to not do anything. :lol:
I think, that is, the purpose of resistance, not wanting to change or do anything.
Kawa

Post by Kawa »

I signed up for the Drink your Food challenge and I feel nervous...

My why: I don't remember if I've ever chewed my food 40-50 times...not even 10 times..lol...so for me this is a way to slow down, to be present and not thinking about what to do next, to know what I am putting into my mouth...do I like what I putting into my mouth or not?. I think eating fast like I have been doing my whole life has been the biggest enemy to my health. Something inside of me says that by doing this challenge I want to reclaim some part of my life back!

Who am I going to: The entrepreneur who remakes the world in his own image or the one who lands my plane where the hell I want it to land. The boss that is making the shot in my life. I also want to go into this with curiosity of what I will discover.

Anybody still doing the challenge?
Sophie
Site Admin

Post by Sophie »

Kawa wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:18 pm I signed up for the Drink your Food challenge and I feel nervous...

My why: I don't remember if I've ever chewed my food 40-50 times...not even 10 times..lol...so for me this is a way to slow down, to be present and not thinking about what to do next, to know what I am putting into my mouth...do I like what I putting into my mouth or not?. I think eating fast like I have been doing my whole life has been the biggest enemy to my health. Something inside of me says that by doing this challenge I want to reclaim some part of my life back!

Who am I going to: The entrepreneur who remakes the world in his own image or the one who lands my plane where the hell I want it to land. The boss that is making the shot in my life. I also want to go into this with curiosity of what I will discover.

Anybody still doing the challenge?
happy for you Kawa. And I love you for throwing your hat in.
Yeah, anybody still doing the challenge? I certainly am.
Jodie

Post by Jodie »

I'm still doing the challenge...what I find is a new obstacle is that now that the chewing is mostly habitual, it becomes easier to slip out of being present while doing it. Meaning I sometimes find myself habitually counting the chewing to get to the magic number so I can eat more, like repeating something I memorized rather than choosing my words carefully.

There is still being present there, more with the food because there is always the focus of the food becoming liquid, and the flavors and the textures, which I have come to enjoy. But particularly with drinking my water, maybe because I do that so often and habitually, I can find myself unconsciously counting to 20 while I do other things, which is not doing the challenge.

What I'm working on is doing more than just chewing with my water...doing swishing and gargling and chewing randomly, so I'm out of the auto-pilot mode and pulling my attention in to be present to the feel of the water.

I love Kawa's analogy of 'the one who lands the plane where the hell I want it to land'... very effective visual. It calls up the bullseye story again for me...you're landing the plane where it lands and drawing the runway around it, and calling it exactly where it's supposed to be... thank you for that.
It's a great reminder that the challenge isn't only about being present, but about calling the shot, being the boss.
Kawa

Post by Kawa »

Thank you Sophie..

Nice that I am not alone....I realized that I really needed to be the boss this morning when eating. There is a mechanism that wants to swallow automatically after say 10 or 11 chewings....This can be because of my habit of not chewing so much...let's see if this can go away...Everybody's can be different....do any of you have that?

Yes, Jodie...I saw "Being the boss" in reality when I ate my breakfast now....the swallowing mechanism takes over if you are not present, not the boss the food is going down earlier than the saliva come up. That is my observation.
Sophie
Site Admin

Post by Sophie »

Kawa wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:41 am Thank you Sophie..

Nice that I am not alone....I realized that I really needed to be the boss this morning when eating. There is a mechanism that wants to swallow automatically after say 10 or 11 chewings....This can be because of my habit of not chewing so much...let's see if this can go away...Everybody's can be different....do any of you have that?

Yes, Jodie...I saw "Being the boss" in reality when I ate my breakfast now....the swallowing mechanism takes over if you are not present, not the boss the food is going down earlier than the saliva come up. That is my observation.
I hope, Kawa, that you fall in love with being the boss. that is what this challenge is partly about.